Wednesday, January 28, 2009

TSE-Day 2: Welcome Party, Beach style!

Woke up a little later today since I didn't have to go to the wedding luncheon and I had missed the opening session. I was able to spend 3 full hours at the exhibition hall and still barely got through half of them! I met a wonderful woman named Ann from "Your Wedding Day" magazine and wandered around with her to various booths and took pictures for her with people.
At 2:30pm I headed over to 6th and Broadway to volunteer with HOH on the Welcome Party for the evening. It was a pretty slow set up since the florists, caterers, and decor people all came to set up on their own. We were mainly in charge of putting together the goody bags from all the 40 caterers we had presenting at the event. Of course more than half of them hadn't even brought in their information flyers, and then we weren't allowed to set up our working table until after 5pm, and I had gotten there at 3pm, so most of us just hung around and tried to find various jobs to do.
Had a quick box lunch and by 5pm we were setting up and stuffing 1200 bangs. It was a crazy assembly line of 12 people on one side passing the bag along and stuffing it with papers, 4 on the other side trying to do the same, 1-2 runners storing them, and 2 in the front handing bags to us. In 2 hours, we finished all of them!!! WHEW! Good teamwork! It was good, working hard on something like that...I like that kinda stuff, when everyone pulls together into this awesome assembly line and gets super efficient. =)
The remainder of my volunteer hours I handed out programs as guests entered, but by 8pm my shitf was done and I was able to hang out and mingle with the crowd. That was the most fun, the building was amazing!! The ground floor was all beach-themed, with a pretzel stand, mini donuts, gelato cups cut into a boogie board serving tray, slushies, expresso bar, and live band. Downstairs was super cool with an Asian "Karma" room filled with food, Flamenco dancers (??), and green screen photography. There was a sunflower room, literally filled with sunflowers, yellow, edible arrangements was there with their fruit/chocolate baskets, cookies, and food sampling. I met some really cool guys from Optics who do stage design and set up, and it was fun just to hang out with some guys for a little bit. =) Then there was the "Red Light District" room, with sailor photos, beer buckets, filet mignon samples, and red everywhere! It was in a vault room, literally! So that ambiance was really cool! The next room was the ladies powder room, which was painted hot pink, so pink champagne with raspberries were offered there along with chocolate covered strawberries and mini cupcakes, and there was a ice sculpture of a high heel. And yes, the women's toilets were just a curtain away, so that was a bit awkward cuz men did come to check out the pink room! And the last room on that floor was the green room, which was perfect because it was all about the natural foods, veggies, and organic fruits, etc. There was a big paper mache tree in the middle and the food table design was all green grass, wood baskets and crates with fresh fruit and veggies. It was an amazing design and so much fun just exploring!
Hey there Sailor! Catch the Moment greenscreen photography.
Surfing with the girls!
I met Michael from Creations for Catering in Hawaii and his son Jordan as well, funny story with him was that I met Jordan first, so when I finally met his dad on my own, I said, Oh! So you're Jordan's dad! And he said, Wow, all this time he was always more famous than his son, but now his son is moving up (in the catering world) and he's being asked if he's Jordan's dad. =) It was funny, really funny for him, he probably laughed for like 10 minutes straight! A very nice man, I hope to meet him again when I got to Hawaii at the end of February.
I finally left at 11pm and got home by 11:30pm. I have an early start tomorrow, but thankfully I'll be done early as well! I hope to finish up the rest of the exhibition hall as well, cuz there are some fun booths there that I can't wait to share with my clients!

No comments:

Post a Comment